Vibhudutta Awasthi, Ph.D.
Professor and Associate Dean for Research
Phone (405) 271-6593 x47331
Fax (405) -271-7505
Office CPB 309
My research interests are in the development of radiopharmaceuticals, small animal imaging and use of radiological imaging techniques to answer physiological questions. My current research focuses on the development of liposome encapsulated hemoglobin as an artificial oxygen carrier and he is studying cerebral oxygen metabolism using positron emission tomography. I am a board certified nuclear pharmacist with expertise in areas related to drug delivery, formulation development, nuclear pharmacy and small animal nuclear imaging.
Publications & Presentations
- 16. Mdzinarishvili A, Houson H, Sidorov E, Awasthi V. Detection of Cerebral Necrosis in Ischemic Stroke Using a New Infarct-Avid Agent 18F-Fluorodeoxyglucaric Acid (FGA) in a Mouse Model of Stroke. BRAIN INJURY. 2019; 33 : 215-215
17. Awasthi V, Awwad H O, Houson H, Hedrick A, Mdzinarishvili A, Standifer K. Hemorrhagic Shock Aggravates Traumatic Brain Injury: Evidence from PET Imaging Using 18F-Fluorodeoxyglucaric Acid in a Rat Model. BRAIN INJURY. 2019; 33 : 117-118
18. Virani N, Hedrick A, Wu D, Southard B, Liu H, Awasthi V, Harrison R. Enhanced computed tomography imaging of breast cancer via phosphatidylserine targeted gold nanoparticles. Biomedical Physics & Engineering Express. 2019; 5 : 065019
19. Mare R, Fresta M, Cosco D, Awasthi V. Anchoring Property of a Novel Hydrophilic Lipopolymer, HDAS-SHP, Post-Inserted in Preformed Liposomes. Nanomaterials. 2019; 9 : 1185
20. Nkepang G N, Gali H, Houson H, Hedrick A F, Hayes B, Causey O, Inman P, Box J, Benton E, Galbraith W, Awasthi V. Production of [13N]ammonia from [13C]methanol on a 7.5 MeV cyclotron using 13C(p, n)13N reaction: Detection of myocardial infarction in a mouse model. Applied Radiation and Isotopes. 2019; 150 : 19-24
- 1. Developing PPARγ acetylation inhibitor for the treatment of aging-related conditions. NIH. Start Date: 2021. End Date: 2026.
2. Preclinical Validation of PPARg Acetylation Inhibitors for Diabetes Prevention and Treatment. NIH. Start Date: 2021. End Date: 2026.
3. Surfactant protein-A regions as TLR4-immunomodulators. NIH. Start Date: 2017. End Date: 2023.
4. Surfactant protein-A regions as TLR4-immunomodulators. NIH. Start Date: 2017. End Date: 2023.
5. Pharmacotherapy of Traumatic Brain Injury Accompanied by Hemorrhagic Shock. NIH. Start Date: 2017. End Date: 2022.
Awards and Honors
- 1. USPTO. Patent application issued. Date: 2015.
2. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. Article selected as a featured research paper. Date: 2015.
3. Robert Glenn Rapp Foundation. Presidential Professor . Date: 2013.
4. Sandra K and David L Gilliland Chair in Nuclear Pharmacy . Date: 2012.
- 1. Degree: Ph D. Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences . Date: 1994.
2. Degree: M. Pharm.. Dr. Hari Singh Gour Vishwavidyalaya, Sagar (Formerly, University of Sagar). Date: 1990.
3. Degree: B. Pharm. Dr. Hari Singh Gour Vishwavidyalaya, Sagar (Formerly, University of Sagar). Date: 1988.
- 1. Role: Associate Dean. Scope: College. Description: Lead research enterprise of the College of Pharmacy. Represent the College at the HSC level. Mentor researchers. Date: 2020.
2. Role: Director. Scope: University. Description: Direction and conduct of nuclear imaging services for biomedical investigators; Production of PET radiotracers for preclinical imaging and preparation for regulatory compliance for clinical applications; Consultations with researchers about imaging and tracer applications. Date: 2007.
External Connections and Partnerships