Lourdes G. Planas, RPh, PhD, FAPhA
Dr. Planas teaches biostatistics, drug literature evaluation, and sociobehavioral aspects of medication use. She uses qualitative and quantitative research methods to assess medication optimization interventions in community pharmacy and primary care practice settings. She works with Latinx and other underserved communities to advance health literacy and patient engagement in cardiovascular health, diabetes, and vaccinations. Dr. Planas has conducted scholarship of teaching and learning on the development of problem-solving and communication skills among student pharmacists.
Publications & Presentations
- 6. Planas L G. Women in academic pharmacy: Remembering, committing, and investing. J Am Pharm Assoc. 2022; 62 : 1751-3.
7. Chen A M, Armbruster A L, Buckley B, Campbell J A, Dang D K, Devraj R, Drame I, Edwards A, Haack S L, Ma Q, Petry N, Planas L G, Sadowski C A, Santee J, Wade L, Borja-Hart N. Inclusion of health disparities, cultural competence, and health literacy content in US and Canadian pharmacy curriculums. Am J Pharm Educ. 2021; 85 : Article 8200.
8. Clay P G, Burns A L, Isetts B J, Hirsch J D, Kliethermes M A, Planas L G. PaCIR: A tool to enhance pharmacist patient care intervention reporting. J Am Pharm Assoc. 2019; 59 : 615-23.
9. Planas L G, Desselle S P, Cao K. Valuable lessons for pharmacist PBRNs: Insights and experiences from physician PBRN members. Pharmacy. 2019; 7 : Article 123.
10. Andrews S B, Marcy T R, Osborn B, Planas L G. The impact of an appointment-based medication synchronization program on chronic medication adherence in an adult community pharmacy population. J Clin Pharm Ther. 2017; 42 : 461-6.
- 1. Addressing opioid use disorder in older adults through primary care innovation. AHRQ. Start Date: 2020. End Date: 2023.
2. Diabetes and hearing impairment: Knowledge, attitudes, and practices among providers and patients. ASHP. Start Date: 2022. End Date: 2023.
3. A comparison of the effectiveness of combination varenicline and oral nicotine replacement therapy versus varenicline alone for smoking cessation: A pilot study. PhRMA. Start Date: 2018. End Date: 2020.
4. Reducing opioid prescribing through education and support (ROPES-3). NIH. Start Date: 2018. End Date: 2019.
5. Exploration of Oklahoma pharmacist involvement in the ABCS of cardiovascular dsease and stroke prevention. Start Date: 2012. End Date: 2013.
Awards and Honors
- 1. University of Oklahoma Latinx Coalition. Outstanding Faculty Member. Date: 2020.
2. American Pharmacists Association-Academy of Pharmaceutical Research & Science. Fellow. Date: 2020.
3. OUHSC Outstanding Student Organization Advisor of the Year. Date: 2017.
4. American Pharmacists Association-Academy of Pharmacy Practice & Management. Presentation Merit Award. Date: 2016.
5. American Pharmacists Association. Clinical Research Paper Award. Date: 2015.
- 1. Degree: Ph D. University of Florida. Date: 2001.
2. Degree: BS. Xavier University of Louisiana. Date: 1990.