Lourdes G. Planas, RPh, PhD, FAPhA
Pharmacy Clinical & Admin Sci
Phone (405) 271-6878 x47294
Fax (405) 271-6430
Office CPB 243
Dr. Planas teaches biostatistics, drug literature evaluation, and sociobehavioral aspects of medication use. She uses qualitative and quantitative research methods to assess medication optimization interventions in community pharmacy and primary care practice settings. She works with Latinx and other underserved communities to advance health literacy and patient engagement in cardiovascular health, diabetes, and vaccinations. Dr. Planas has conducted scholarship of teaching and learning on the development of problem-solving and communication skills among student pharmacists.
Publications & Presentations
- 1. Devraj R, Warholak T, Planas L G. Seeking gender equity in pharmacy academia. Am J Pharm Educ. 2023; 87 : Article 9050.
2. Thomas T F, Devraj R, Quiñones-Boex A C, Planas L G, Unni E, Barner J C, Blakely M L, Clark M A, Irwin A N, Nagel-Edwards K, Suda K J, Zgarrick D, Young H N, Nau D P, Warholak T. Gender equity perceptions among social & administrative sciences faculty: a qualitative evaluation. J Am Pharm Assoc. 2023; 63 : 50-7.
3. Schommer J C, Gaither C A, Alvarez N A, Lee S, Shaughnessy A M, Arya V, Planas L G, Fadare O, Witry M J. Pharmacy Workplace Wellbeing and Resilience: Themes Identified from a Hermeneutic Phenomenological Analysis with Future Recommendations. Pharmacy. 2022; 10 : Article 158.
4. Planas L G. Women in academic pharmacy: Remembering, committing, and investing. J Am Pharm Assoc. 2022; 62 : 1751-3.
5. Chen A M, Armbruster A L, Buckley B, Campbell J A, Dang D K, Devraj R, Drame I, Edwards A, Haack S L, Ma Q, Petry N, Planas L G, Sadowski C A, Santee J, Wade L, Borja-Hart N. Inclusion of health disparities, cultural competence, and health literacy content in US and Canadian pharmacy curriculums. Am J Pharm Educ. 2021; 85 : Article 8200.
- 1. Addressing opioid use disorder in older adults through primary care innovation. AHRQ. Start Date: 2020. End Date: 2023.
2. Diabetes and hearing impairment: Knowledge, attitudes, and practices among providers and patients. ASHP. Start Date: 2022. End Date: 2023.
3. A comparison of the effectiveness of combination varenicline and oral nicotine replacement therapy versus varenicline alone for smoking cessation: A pilot study. PhRMA. Start Date: 2019. End Date: 2019.
4. Reducing opioid prescribing through education and support (ROPES-3). NIH. Start Date: 2018. End Date: 2019.
5. The Oklahoma Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention Program addresses strategies using the Socio-Ecological Model. Start Date: 2012. End Date: 2013.
Awards and Honors
- 6. American Pharmacists Association. Clinical Research Paper Award. Date: 2010.
7. American Foundation for Pharmaceutical Education. Pre-Doctoral Fellow. Date: 1998.
- 1. Degree: Ph D. University of Florida. Date: 2001.
2. Degree: BS. Xavier University of Louisiana. Date: 1990.