Shanjana Awasthi, Ph.D.
Research in my lab is focused on developing immunotherapeutics and vaccines by harnessing our body's natural host defense mechanisms. Our research efforts have been focused on developing TLR4-interacting surfactant protein-A-derived peptides and dendritic cell-based vaccine approaches. We are interested in investigating the mechanisms of action and efficacy of these approaches using structural, computational, physicochemical, and immunological tools and methods, and in vitro and in animal models of infection, inflammation and cancer.
Certifications & Licenses
Categorical certificate in Clinical Microbiology
Publications & Presentations
- 21. Awasthi S. Peptide compositions that bind TLR-4. USPTO. 2014
22. Awasthi S. Toll-like receptor-4 modulation for cancer immunotherapy. Front Immunol. 2014; 5 : 328
23. Ramani V, Awasthi S. Suppression of lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced lung inflammation by a TLR4-interacting SP-A-derived peptide. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013; 187
24. Ramani V, Madhusoodhanan R, Kosanke S, Awasthi S. A TLR4-interacting SPA4 peptide inhibits LPS-induced lung inflammation. Innate immunity. 2013; 19 : 596-610
25. Madhusoodhanan R, Ramani V, Moriasi C, Anant S, Awasthi S. A TLR4-interacting peptide (SPA4) reduces the lipopolysaccharide-stimulated NF-kappaB signaling, cytokines and migration of colon cancer cells. CANCER RESEARCH. 2012; 72
- 1. Surfactant protein-A regions as TLR4-immunomodulators. NIH. Start Date: 2017. End Date: 2023.
2. Surfactant protein-A regions as TLR4-immunomodulators. NIH. Start Date: 2017. End Date: 2023.
3. Molecular mechanism of action of TLR4-interacting SPA4 peptide in lung epithelial cell systems. Non-federal. Start Date: 2021. End Date: 2022.
4. Immunomodulation by a TLR4-interacting Surfactant protein-A peptide. Non-federal. Start Date: 2013. End Date: 2021.
5. Control of lung inflammation by a TLR4-interacting SP-A-derived peptide. NIH. Start Date: 2013. End Date: 2017.
Awards and Honors
- 1. Tech Connect Ventures in partnership with Blue Origin and Sierra Space. Finalist of Reef Starter Innovation Challenge. Date: 2022.
2. Office of Technology Development, OUHSC. Patent Award. Date: 2014.
- 1. Degree: Post-Baccalaureate Categorical certificate in Clinical Microbiology. University of Texas Health Sciences Center at San Antonio. Date: 2006.
2. Degree: Ph D. Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences. Date: 1995.
3. Degree: Master of Science. Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), formerly University of Roorkee. Date: 1990.
4. Degree: Bachelor of Science. MKP College, University of Garhwal. Date: 1988.
External Connections and Partnerships
- 1. Type: Speaker. Org: Oklahoma City VA Health Care System. City: Oklahoma City. Research Rally. Date: 2018.
2. Type: Speaker. Org: University of Southampton. Delivered a talk "Immunomodulation by a TLR4-interacting surfactant protein-A peptide". Date: 2018.
3. Type: Speaker. Org: Rutgers University. Presented a talk "Host targeted therapies to combat infection and inflammation". Date: 2018.
4. Type: Speaker. Org: Oklahoma State University. City: Stillwater. State: Oklahoma. Delivered talks on annual basis from year 2013-2018 at the annual retreat of the Oklahoma Center of Respiratory and Infectious Diseases. Date: 2013.
5. Type: Funding. Org: Oklahoma State University (2013-2017). City: Stillwater. State: Oklahoma. NIH-supported COBRE program in Respiratory and Infectious Diseases. Date: 2013.