Shanjana Awasthi, Ph.D.
Research in my lab is focused on developing immunotherapeutics and vaccines by harnessing our body's natural host defense mechanisms. Our research efforts have been focused on developing TLR4-interacting surfactant protein-A-derived peptides and dendritic cell-based vaccine approaches. We are interested in investigating the mechanisms of action and efficacy of these approaches using structural, computational, physicochemical, and immunological tools and methods, and in vitro and in animal models of infection, inflammation and cancer.
Certifications & Licenses
Categorical certificate in Clinical Microbiology
Publications & Presentations
- 1. Chowdhury A, Kyere-Davies G, Kosanke S D, Awasthi S. Biological activity of SPA4 peptide against lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced injury. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2021; 203: A3885 meeting abstract
2. Awasthi S, Kumar G, Ramani V, Awasthi V, Rodgers K K, Xie J, Beierle J, Kyere-Davies G, Singh B, Rahman N, Chowdhury A A, Chataut N. Mechanism of Anti-Inflammatory Activity of TLR4-Interacting SPA4 Peptide. ImmunoHorizons. 2021; 5 : 659-674
3. Dela Cruz C S, Evans S E, Restrepo M I, Dean N, Torres A, Amara-Elori I, Awasthi S, Caler E, Cao B, Chalmers J D, Chastre J, Cohen T S, Cohen A H, Crothers K, Di Y P, Egan M E, Feldman C, Gautam S, Halstead E S, Herold S, Jones B E, Luna C, Niederman M S, Mendez R, Menendez R, Mizgerd J P, Nusrat R, Ramirez J, Shindo Y, Waterer G, Yeligar S M, Wunderink R G. Understanding the Host in the Management of Pneumonia. An Official American Thoracic Society Workshop Report. Annals of the American Thoracic Society. 2021; 18 : 1087-1097
4. Awasthi V, Vilekar P, Rao G, Awasthi S. Anti-inflammatory mediators ST2 and SIGIRR are induced by diphenyldifluoroketone EF24 in lipopolysaccharide-stimulated dendritic cells. Immunobiology. 2020; 225 : 151886
5. Awasthi S, Rahman N, Rui B, Kumar G, Awasthi V, Breshears M, Kosanke S. Lung and general health effects of Toll-like receptor-4 (TLR4)-interacting SPA4 peptide. BMC pulmonary medicine. 2020; 20 : 179
- 1. Molecular mechanism of action of TLR4-interacting SPA4 peptide in lung epithelial cell systems. Non-federal. Start Date: 2021. End Date: 2022.
2. Surfactant protein-A regions as TLR4-immunomodulators. NIH. Start Date: 2017. End Date: 2022.
3. Immunomodulation by a TLR4-interacting Surfactant protein-A peptide. Non-federal. Start Date: 2013. End Date: 2021.
4. Control of lung inflammation by a TLR4-interacting SP-A-derived peptide. NIH. Start Date: 2013. End Date: 2017.
5. Structure-function relation of a TLR4-interacting Surfactant protein-A-derived peptide. NIH. Start Date: 2013. End Date: 2014.
Awards and Honors
- 1. Office of Technology Development, OUHSC. Patent Award. Date: 2014.
- 1. Degree: Post-Baccalaureate Categorical certificate in Clinical Microbiology. University of Texas Health Sciences Center at San Antonio. Date: 2006.
2. Degree: Ph D. Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences. Date: 1995.
3. Degree: Master of Science. Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), formerly University of Roorkee. Date: 1990.
4. Degree: Bachelor of Science. MKP College, University of Garhwal. Date: 1988.