Shanjana Awasthi, Ph.D.
Research in my lab is focused on developing immunotherapeutics and vaccines by harnessing our body's natural host defense mechanisms. Our research efforts have been focused on developing TLR4-interacting surfactant protein-A-derived peptides and dendritic cell-based vaccine approaches. We are interested in investigating the mechanisms of action and efficacy of these approaches using structural, computational, physicochemical, and immunological tools and methods, and in vitro and in animal models of infection, inflammation and cancer.
Certifications & Licenses
Categorical certificate in Clinical Microbiology
Publications & Presentations
- 6. Awasthi V, Vilekar P, Rao G, Awasthi S. Anti-inflammatory mediators ST2 and SIGIRR are induced by diphenyldifluoroketone EF24 in lipopolysaccharide-stimulated dendritic cells. Immunobiology. 2020; 225 : 151886
7. Awasthi S, Rahman N, Rui B, Kumar G, Awasthi V, Breshears M, Kosanke S. Lung and general health effects of Toll-like receptor-4 (TLR4)-interacting SPA4 peptide. BMC pulmonary medicine. 2020; 20 : 179
8. Awasthi S, Rahman N, Hedrick A, Awasthi V, Breshears M, Kosanke S. Analysis of health and lung injury markers in mice treated with TLR4-interacting SPA4 peptide. Journal of Immunology (Annual Meeting Abstracts). 2019; 202 : 64.26
9. Awasthi S, Vilekar P, Conkleton A, Rahman N. Dendritic cell-based immunization induces Coccidioides Ag2/PRA-specific immune response. Vaccine. 2019; 37 : 1685-1691
10. Awasthi S, Singh B, Ramani V, Xie J, Kosanke S. TLR4-interacting SPA4 peptide improves host defense and alleviates tissue injury in a mouse model of Pseudomonas aeruginosa lung infection. PloS one. 2019; 14 : e0210979
- 1. Surfactant protein-A regions as TLR4-immunomodulators. NIH. Start Date: 2017. End Date: 2023.
2. Surfactant protein-A regions as TLR4-immunomodulators. NIH. Start Date: 2017. End Date: 2023.
3. Molecular mechanism of action of TLR4-interacting SPA4 peptide in lung epithelial cell systems. Non-federal. Start Date: 2021. End Date: 2022.
4. Immunomodulation by a TLR4-interacting Surfactant protein-A peptide. Non-federal. Start Date: 2013. End Date: 2021.
5. Control of lung inflammation by a TLR4-interacting SP-A-derived peptide. NIH. Start Date: 2013. End Date: 2017.
Awards and Honors
- 1. Tech Connect Ventures in partnership with Blue Origin and Sierra Space. Finalist of Reef Starter Innovation Challenge. Date: 2022.
2. Office of Technology Development, OUHSC. Patent Award. Date: 2014.
- 1. Degree: Post-Baccalaureate Categorical certificate in Clinical Microbiology. University of Texas Health Sciences Center at San Antonio. Date: 2006.
2. Degree: Ph D. Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences. Date: 1995.
3. Degree: Master of Science. Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), formerly University of Roorkee. Date: 1990.
4. Degree: Bachelor of Science. MKP College, University of Garhwal. Date: 1988.
External Connections and Partnerships
- 1. Type: Speaker. Org: Oklahoma City VA Health Care System. City: Oklahoma City. Research Rally. Date: 2018.
2. Type: Speaker. Org: University of Southampton. Delivered a talk "Immunomodulation by a TLR4-interacting surfactant protein-A peptide". Date: 2018.
3. Type: Speaker. Org: Rutgers University. Presented a talk "Host targeted therapies to combat infection and inflammation". Date: 2018.
4. Type: Speaker. Org: Oklahoma State University. City: Stillwater. State: Oklahoma. Delivered talks on annual basis from year 2013-2018 at the annual retreat of the Oklahoma Center of Respiratory and Infectious Diseases. Date: 2013.
5. Type: Funding. Org: Oklahoma State University (2013-2017). City: Stillwater. State: Oklahoma. NIH-supported COBRE program in Respiratory and Infectious Diseases. Date: 2013.