Life at OU College of Pharmacy
As a student at the College of Pharmacy, we encourage you to cultivate a quality of life outside of your studies. Fortunately, the college is located in the heart of some of the most significant cultural growth of any city in the nation, and opportunities exist all around for recreation, entertainment and cultural activities.
The beauty of Oklahoma City is not only seen through the vibrant activities throughout the year, but also its passionate and kind people. Oklahoma City has a wide variety of events in which people from the city come together to cheer on, celebrate, and honor. From our sports teams to the daily occasions to the nightlife, Oklahoma City makes the perfect home.
Being so close to downtown Oklahoma City, you have countless offerings nearby, such as:
- Our NBA team, the Oklahoma City Thunder, at Chesapeake Arena. The OKC Thunder is a professional basketball team that competes in the National Basketball Association. The Thunder is part of the league's Western Conference. The Seattle SuperSonics relocated to OKC in 2008 and thus became OKC Thunder. The games are some of the most exciting times in OKC, with the atmosphere always exhilarating and uniting. The team exemplifies the city's ideals: "Rise Together."
- The Oklahoma City Dodgers is a minor league baseball team based in OKC. The team, which plays in the Pacific Coast League (PCL), is the Triple-A affiliate of the Los Angeles Dodgers. They offer exciting professional baseball and family-friendly entertainment at the heart of the Bricktown Entertainment District. A variety of other events are held throughout the year such as college and high school baseball games, concerts, and snow tubing at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.
- The Oklahoma City Museum of Art (OKCMOA) is the namesake visual arts organization of Oklahoma City. The museum's 110,000 square foot facility, constructed in 2002, is located in the heart of downtown and is an anchor for a growing cultural district of the greater metropolitan area. Located on the ground floor of the museum, the Museum Cafe offers metropolitan ambiance, superb fusion cuisine, and exceptional service.
- The Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon hosts over 24,000 individuals annually who come to honor the memories of those who were taken from us. This event has grown every year, bringing in people from all 50 states and even from other countries. The entire city comes together during this time to celebrate life and to recognize the differences we can make in the world around us.
- Lake Hefner is located almost right in the middle of Oklahoma. It's the perfect location for sailing, fishing and picnicking and it's encompassed by a 9.4 mile trail great for walking, running, or cycling. Surrounding parks offer sports fields, playgrounds and gold, while the Oklahoma City Boat Club is located directly on the east short of Lake Hefner. Taking a seat at Hefner Grill, Mama Roja Mexican Kitchen, Redrock Canyon Grill, or Louie's Grill & Bar will land you the best views of Oklahoma sunsets.
- Bricktown entertainment district with restaurants, shopping, river walk, a theater and much more.
- The Boathouse District, directly south of the campus on the Oklahoma River, offers kayak, canoe and dragon boats as well as a whitewater rafting course, bicycle rentals and ziplines
- Midtown District and Automobile Alley, with some of the city’s most popular restaurants and nightlife destinations.
- Myriad Botanical Gardens and 17-acre urban park is one of OKC's most beautiful and vibrant garden and park spaces, offering visitors a natural escape in the heart of downtown. Free and open to the public, the outdoor spaces include ornamental gardens, a children's garden and playground, an off-leash dog park, and even water activities for kids.
The city has hundreds of wonderful options for dining, entertainment or relaxing. Learn more about what we have to offer.
Student Ambassador Program
Founded in 2007, the OU Pharmacy Student Ambassador Program has served as a platform for students to represent the college. Students have a visible presence on college campuses and serve as role models to fellow students, faculty and staff.
We encourage students to get involved in one or more of the many area volunteering opportunities. There are a number of local organizations that allow students to serve the homeless, build homes and participate in drives and events to feed and clothe the indigent, and tutor local high school students.
University Village, established in June 2003 and located on the Health Sciences Center campus in OKC, is available to all HSC students and operated by the University. University Village offers two-bedroom townhomes and one-bedroom studio apartments. Residents enjoy gated parking, a game room, washer and dryers, and free internet. Please visit the website for University Village, or contact the University Village Manager at (405) 271-0500 for more information.
OUHSC Student Life