Wei Yue, Ph.D.
My research program focuses on studying novel mechanisms involved in regulation of OATP1B1 and OATP1B3 transport function. The long-term goal of my laboratory is to establish a mechanistic model to predict OATP-mediated drug-drug interactions, toxicities and inter-individual variability in drug response. Multi-disciplinary approaches are utilized including: 1) Sandwich-cultured primary human hepatocytes model; 2) Physiologically based pharmacokinetic (PBPK) modeling approach to assess clinically relevant DDIs; 3) Pharmacogenomics studies of drug transport proteins; 4) Post-translational regulation of OATP transporters; 5) Confocal microscopy to study trafficking of the transport proteins.
Member, Educators for Excellence
Publications & Presentations
- 1. Brouwer K, Evers R, Hayden E, Hu S, Yanfei Li C, Meyer zu Schwabedissen H, Neuhoff S, Oswald S, Piquette-Miller M, Saran C, Sjöstedt N, Sprowl J, Stahl S, Yue W. Regulation of Drug Transport Proteins - From Mechanisms to Clinical Impact; A White Paper on Behalf of the ITC. Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics . 2022
2. Farasyn T, Pahwa S, Xu C, Yue W. Pre-incubation with OATP1B1 and OATP1B3 inhibitors potentiates inhibitory effects in physiologically relevant sandwich-cultured primary human hepatocytes. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2021; 165 : 105951
3. Farasyn T, Xu C, Yue W. Development of a primary rat sandwich-cultured hepatocytes model expressing functional human organic anion transporting polypeptide (OATP) 1B3: a novel tool to assess hepatobiliary disposition of human OATP1B3 substrates. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. In Press; 24 : 475-483
4. Kayesh R, Farasyn T, Crowe A, Liu Q, Pahwa S, Alam K, Neuhoff S, Hatley O, Ding K, Yue W. Assessing OATP1B1- and OATP1B3-mediated drug-drug interaction potential of vemurafenib by applying the total IC50 approach in R-value and physiologically-based pharmacokinetic models. Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 2021; 109 : ITCW-007
5. Kayesh R, Farasyn T, Crowe A, Liu Q, Pahwa S, Alam K, Neuhoff S, Hatley O, Ding K, Yue W. Assessing OATP1B1- and OATP1B3-Mediated Drug-Drug Interaction Potential of Vemurafenib Using R-Value and Physiologically-Based Pharmacokinetic Models. Journal of pharmaceutical sciences. 2021; 110 : 314-324
- 1. Regulation of OATP1B1 and OATP1B3 by lysine acetylation and lysine deacetylase inhibitors . NIH. Start Date: 2022. End Date: 2026.
2. Regulation of OATP1B1 and OATP1B3 by lysine acetylation and lysine deacetylase inhibitors . Misc Non-Federal. Start Date: 2022. End Date: 2023.
3. Lysine Acetylation: A novel mechanism governing organic anion transporting polypeptides OATP1B1- and OATP1B3-mediated transport. Misc Non-Federal. Start Date: 2021. End Date: 2022.
4. Elucidating novel mechanism underlying OATP1B1/1B3-mediated drug-drug interactions . Non-federal. Start Date: 2019. End Date: 2020.
5. Characterize ADME of compound X. Non-federal. Start Date: 2019. End Date: 2020.
Awards and Honors
- 1. Shandong University, China. Sunshine scholarship. Date: 1996.
- 1. Degree: Postdoctoral training. Eshelman School of Pharmacy, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Date: 2008.
2. Degree: Postdoctoral Training. Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, Univeristy of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Date: 2007.
3. Degree: Ph D. Peking Union Medical College and Shandong University, China. Date: 2001.
4. Degree: MS. Shandong University, China. Date: 1998.
5. Degree: BS. Shandong Agricultural University, China. Date: 1995.