Wei Yue, Ph.D.
My research program focuses on studying novel mechanisms involved in regulation of OATP1B1 and OATP1B3 transport function. The long-term goal of my laboratory is to establish a mechanistic model to predict OATP-mediated drug-drug interactions, toxicities and inter-individual variability in drug response. Multi-disciplinary approaches are utilized including: 1) Sandwich-cultured primary human hepatocytes model; 2) Physiologically based pharmacokinetic (PBPK) modeling approach to assess clinically relevant DDIs; 3) Pharmacogenomics studies of drug transport proteins; 4) Post-translational regulation of OATP transporters; 5) Confocal microscopy to study trafficking of the transport proteins.
Education & Experience
Ph.D. in Developmental Biology
Joint PhD program in Peking Union Medical College and Shandong University, China2001
M.S. in Developmental Biology
Shandong University,, China1998
B.S. in Plant Pathology
Shandong Agricultural University, China1995
Publications & Presentations
- 1. Farasyn T, Pahwa S, Xu C, Yue W. Pre-incubation with OATP1B1 and OATP1B3 inhibitors potentiates inhibitory effects in physiologically relevant sandwich-cultured primary human hepatocytes. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2021; 165 : 105951
2. Farasyn T, Xu C, Yue W. Development of a primary rat sandwich-cultured hepatocytes model expressing functional human organic anion transporting polypeptide (OATP) 1B3: a novel tool to assess hepatobiliary disposition of human OATP1B3 substrates. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. In Press; 24 : 475-483
3. Kayesh R, Farasyn T, Crowe A, Liu Q, Pahwa S, Alam K, Neuhoff S, Hatley O, Ding K, Yue W. Assessing OATP1B1- and OATP1B3-mediated drug-drug interaction potential of vemurafenib by applying the total IC50 approach in R-value and physiologically-based pharmacokinetic models. Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 2021; 109 : ITCW-007
4. Kayesh R, Farasyn T, Crowe A, Liu Q, Pahwa S, Alam K, Neuhoff S, Hatley O, Ding K, Yue W. Assessing OATP1B1- and OATP1B3-Mediated Drug-Drug Interaction Potential of Vemurafenib Using R-Value and Physiologically-Based Pharmacokinetic Models. Journal of pharmaceutical sciences. 2021; 110 : 314-324
5. Crowe A, Yue W. An integrative method to semi-quantitatively determine membrane transporter expression by immunohistochemistry staining. Bio-Protocol. 2019
- 1. Post-translational regulation of hepatic transporters organic anion transporting polypeptide (OATP) 1B1 and 1B3 by immunosuppressant cyclosporine A: Implication in Transporter-Mediated Drug-Drug Interactions. Misc Non-Federal. Start Date: 2018. End Date: 2019.
2. Elucidating novel mechanism underlying OATP1B1/1B3-mediated drug-drug interactions . Misc Non-Federal. Start Date: 2019. End Date: 2019.
3. Post-translational regulation of transporters organic anion transporting polypeptides (OATP) 1B1 and 1B3 by immunosuppressant cyclosporine A: Implication in Transporter-Mediated Drug-Drug Interactions . Misc Non-Federal. Start Date: 2017. End Date: 2018.
4. Administrative amendment of adding human subject research component to current funded R01. NIH. Start Date: 2017. End Date: 2017.
5. Administrative Supplement for Equipment . NIH. Start Date: 2015. End Date: 2017.
Awards and Honors
- 1. Shandong University, China. Sunshine scholarship. Date: 1996.
- 1. Degree: Postdoctoral training. Eshelman School of Pharmacy, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Date: 2008.
2. Degree: Postdoctoral Training. Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, Univeristy of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Date: 2007.
3. Degree: Ph D. Peking Union Medical College and Shandong University, China. Date: 2001.
4. Degree: MS. Shandong University, China. Date: 1998.
5. Degree: BS. Shandong Agricultural University, China. Date: 1995.