Lourdes G. Planas, RPh, PhD, FAPhA
Dr. Planas teaches biostatistics, drug literature evaluation, and sociobehavioral aspects of medication use. She uses qualitative and quantitative research methods to assess medication optimization interventions in community pharmacy and primary care practice settings. She works with Latinx and other underserved communities to advance health literacy and patient engagement in cardiovascular health, diabetes, and vaccinations. Dr. Planas has conducted scholarship of teaching and learning on the development of problem-solving and communication skills among student pharmacists.
Publications & Presentations
- 16. Ge X, Planas L G, Er N. A cognitive support system to scaffold students’ problem-based learning in a web-based learning environment. Interdiscip J Problem Based Learn. 2010; 4 : Article 4.
17. Schommer J C, Planas L G, Johnson K A, Doucette W R, Gaither C A, Kreling D H, Mott D A. Pharmacist contributions to the U.S. health care system. INNOVATIONS in pharmacy . 2010; 1 : Article 7.
18. Planas L G, Crosby K M, Mitchell K D, Farmer K C. Evaluation of a hypertension medication therapy management program in patients with diabetes. J Am Pharm Assoc . 2009; 49 : 164-70.
19. Planas L G. Interpersonal communication for pharmaceutical care. In: Rickles NM, Wertheimer AI, Smith MC, eds. Social and behavioral aspects of pharmaceutical care. 2nd ed. Jones and Bartlett. 2009
20. Planas L G. Intervention design, implementation, and evaluation. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2008; 65 : 1854-63.
- 1. Addressing opioid use disorder in older adults through primary care innovation. AHRQ. Start Date: 2020. End Date: 2023.
2. Diabetes and hearing impairment: Knowledge, attitudes, and practices among providers and patients. ASHP. Start Date: 2022. End Date: 2023.
3. Community engagement and capacity building to advance health literacy in Oklahoma City. Misc Federal. Start Date: 2021. End Date: 2023.
4. A comparison of the effectiveness of combination varenicline and oral nicotine replacement therapy versus varenicline alone for smoking cessation: A pilot study. PhRMA. Start Date: 2019. End Date: 2019.
5. Reducing opioid prescribing through education and support (ROPES-3). NIH. Start Date: 2018. End Date: 2019.
Awards and Honors
- 1. University of Oklahoma Latinx Coalition. Outstanding Faculty Member. Date: 2020.
2. American Pharmacists Association-Academy of Pharmaceutical Research & Science. Fellow. Date: 2020.
3. OUHSC Outstanding Student Organization Advisor of the Year. Date: 2017.
4. American Pharmacists Association-Academy of Pharmacy Practice & Management. Presentation Merit Award. Date: 2016.
5. American Pharmacists Association. Clinical Research Paper Award. Date: 2015.
- 1. Degree: Ph D. University of Florida. Date: 2001.
2. Degree: BS. Xavier University of Louisiana. Date: 1990.