H. Anne Pereira, Ph.D.
Cationic antibiotic peptides, inflammation, innate immunity, inflammatory-mediated diseases, atherosclerosis, Alzheimer's disease, bacterial keratitis, sepsis, leukocyte biology, and leukocyte-endothelial interactions.
This laboratory investigates the role of a novel inflammatory mediator known as CAP37. We focus on the significance of this protein in host defense against severe infections including infections of the eye and in various inflammatory mediated diseases such as atherosclerosis and Alzheimer's disease. We currently employ a combination of cellular, immunological, biochemical and molecular approaches at the in vitro and in vivo level to solve these questions. Our long-term goals are to design new and effective antibiotics and anti-inflammatory therapeutics.
Education & Experience
Postdoctoral fellow in Immunology
Royal Children's Hospital, Melbourne, Australia1984
Ph.D. in Pathology
University of Melbourne, Australia1982
Honors & Awards
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)May
Academic Research Fellow
American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP)May
Biomarker and method for detecting a chronic inflammatory-associated disease
Patent No. 8,450,071
H. Anne Pereira
Publications & Presentations
- Kasus-Jacobi A, Griffith G L, Lerner M, Pereira A. Effect of Cationic Antimicrobial Protein CAP37 on Cytokine Profile during Corneal Wound Healing. Journal of Ocular Diseases and Therapeutics. 2017; 5 : 19-27
- Griffith G L, Kasus-Jacobi A, Pereira A. Bioactive Antimicrobial Peptides as Therapeutics for Corneal Wounds and Infections. Advances in wound care. 2017; 6 : 175-190
- Makoni M, Eckert J, Pereira H A, Nizet V, Lawrence S M. Alterations in neonatal function attributable to increased immature forms. Early Human Development. 2016
- Casanegra A, Stoner J A, Tafur A J, Pereira H A, Rathbun S W, Gardner A W. Differences in galectin-3, a biomarker of fibrosis, between participants with peripheral arterial disease and participants with normal ankle-brachial index. Vascular Medicine. 2016
- Stock A J, Kasus-Jacobi A, Wren J, Sjoelund V, Prestwich G, Pereira H A. The role of neutrophil proteins on the amyloid beta-RAGE axis. Plos One. 2016