Shanjana Awasthi, Ph.D.
Phone (405) 271-6593 x47332
Fax (405) 271-7505
Office CPB 324
Research in my lab is focused on developing immunotherapeutics and vaccines by harnessing our body's natural host defense mechanisms. Our research efforts have been focused on developing TLR4-interacting surfactant protein-A-derived peptides and dendritic cell-based vaccine approaches. We are interested in investigating the mechanisms of action and efficacy of these approaches using structural, computational, physicochemical, and immunological tools and methods, and in vitro and in animal models of infection, inflammation and cancer.
Certifications & Licenses
Categorical certificate in Clinical Microbiology
Publications & Presentations
- 41. Awasthi V, Vilekar P, Lagisetty P, Awasthi S. Trafficking of a primary dendritic cell-based vaccine by PET imaging in a mouse model. JOURNAL OF NUCLEAR MEDICINE. 2010; 51
42. Vilekar P, Awasthi V, Lagisetty P, King C, Shankar N, Awasthi S. In vivo trafficking and immunostimulatory potential of an intranasally-administered primary dendritic cell-based vaccine. BMC immunology. 2010; 11 : 60
43. Awasthi S. Surfactant protein (SP)-A and SP-D as antimicrobial and immunotherapeutic agents. Recent patents on anti-infective drug discovery. 2010; 5 : 115-23
44. Awasthi S. Susceptibility of TLR4-defective C3H/HeJ mice to Coccidioides posadasii infection. Medical mycology. 2010; 48 : 470-5
45. Agashe H, Lagisetty P, Awasthi S, Awasthi V. Improved formulation of liposome-encapsulated hemoglobin with an anionic non-phospholipid. Colloids and surfaces. B, Biointerfaces. 2010; 75 : 573-83
- 1. Surfactant protein-A regions as TLR4-immunomodulators. NIH. Start Date: 2017. End Date: 2023.
2. Surfactant protein-A regions as TLR4-immunomodulators. NIH. Start Date: 2017. End Date: 2023.
3. Molecular mechanism of action of TLR4-interacting SPA4 peptide in lung epithelial cell systems. Non-federal. Start Date: 2021. End Date: 2022.
4. Immunomodulation by a TLR4-interacting Surfactant protein-A peptide. Non-federal. Start Date: 2013. End Date: 2021.
5. Control of lung inflammation by a TLR4-interacting SP-A-derived peptide. NIH. Start Date: 2013. End Date: 2017.
Awards and Honors
- 1. Tech Connect Ventures in partnership with Blue Origin and Sierra Space. Finalist of Reef Starter Innovation Challenge. Date: 2022.
2. Office of Technology Development, OUHSC. Patent Award. Date: 2014.
- 1. Degree: Post-Baccalaureate Categorical certificate in Clinical Microbiology. University of Texas Health Sciences Center at San Antonio. Date: 2006.
2. Degree: Ph D. Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences. Date: 1995.
3. Degree: Master of Science. Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), formerly University of Roorkee. Date: 1990.
4. Degree: Bachelor of Science. MKP College, University of Garhwal. Date: 1988.
External Connections and Partnerships
- 1. Speaker Oklahoma City VA Health Care System Oklahoma City Research Rally Date: 2018.
2. Speaker University of Southampton Delivered a talk "Immunomodulation by a TLR4-interacting surfactant protein-A peptide". Date: 2018.
3. Speaker Rutgers University Presented a talk "Host targeted therapies to combat infection and inflammation" Date: 2018.
4. Speaker Oklahoma State University Stillwater Oklahoma Delivered talks on annual basis from year 2013-2018 at the annual retreat of the Oklahoma Center of Respiratory and Infectious Diseases. Date: 2013.
5. Funding Oklahoma State University (2013-2017) Stillwater Oklahoma Dr. Lin Liu NIH-supported COBRE program in Respiratory and Infectious Diseases Date: 2013.