Shanjana Awasthi, Ph.D.
Phone (405) 271-6593 x47332
Fax (405) 271-7505
Office CPB 324
Research in my lab is focused on developing immunotherapeutics and vaccines by harnessing our body's natural host defense mechanisms. Our research efforts have been focused on developing TLR4-interacting surfactant protein-A-derived peptides and dendritic cell-based vaccine approaches. We are interested in investigating the mechanisms of action and efficacy of these approaches using structural, computational, physicochemical, and immunological tools and methods, and in vitro and in animal models of infection, inflammation and cancer.
Certifications & Licenses
Categorical certificate in Clinical Microbiology
Publications & Presentations
- 26. Langer M, Booth J L, Patel V I, Duggan E S, Braun A, Ramani V, Awasthi S, Silasi-Mansat R, Lupu F, Coggeshall K M, Metcalf J P. Human alveolar epithelial barrier function is impaired by Bacillus anthracis lethal toxin. Am J Respiratory Crit Care Med. 2012; 185
27. Garcia-Contreras L, Awasthi S, Hanif S N, Hickey A J. Inhaled vaccines for the prevention of tuberculosis. Mycobact Dis. 2012; S : http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2161-1068.S1-002
28. Moriasi C, Subramaniam D, Awasthi S, Ramalingam S, Anant S. Prevention of Colitis-associated Cancer: Natural Compounds that Target the IL-6 Soluble Receptor. ANTI-CANCER AGENTS IN MEDICINAL CHEMISTRY. 2012; 12 : 1221-1238
29. Madhusoodhanan R, Moriasi C, Ramani V, Anant S, Awasthi S. A TLR4-interacting peptide inhibits lipopolysaccharide-stimulated inflammatory responses, migration and invasion of colon cancer SW480 cells. Oncoimmunology. 2012; 1 : 1495-1506
30. Langer M, Duggan E S, Booth J L, Patel V I, Zander R A, Silasi-Mansat R, Ramani V, Veres T Z, Prenzler F, Sewald K, Williams D M, Coggeshall K M, Awasthi S, Lupu F, Burian D, Ballard J D, Braun A, Metcalf J P. Bacillus anthracis lethal toxin reduces human alveolar epithelial barrier function. Infection and immunity. 2012; 80 : 4374-87
- 1. Surfactant protein-A regions as TLR4-immunomodulators. NIH. Start Date: 2017. End Date: 2023.
2. Surfactant protein-A regions as TLR4-immunomodulators. NIH. Start Date: 2017. End Date: 2023.
3. Molecular mechanism of action of TLR4-interacting SPA4 peptide in lung epithelial cell systems. Non-federal. Start Date: 2021. End Date: 2022.
4. Immunomodulation by a TLR4-interacting Surfactant protein-A peptide. Non-federal. Start Date: 2013. End Date: 2021.
5. Control of lung inflammation by a TLR4-interacting SP-A-derived peptide. NIH. Start Date: 2013. End Date: 2017.
Awards and Honors
- 1. Tech Connect Ventures in partnership with Blue Origin and Sierra Space. Finalist of Reef Starter Innovation Challenge. Date: 2022.
2. Office of Technology Development, OUHSC. Patent Award. Date: 2014.
- 1. Degree: Post-Baccalaureate Categorical certificate in Clinical Microbiology. University of Texas Health Sciences Center at San Antonio. Date: 2006.
2. Degree: Ph D. Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences. Date: 1995.
3. Degree: Master of Science. Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), formerly University of Roorkee. Date: 1990.
4. Degree: Bachelor of Science. MKP College, University of Garhwal. Date: 1988.
External Connections and Partnerships
- 1. Type: Speaker. Org: Oklahoma City VA Health Care System. City: Oklahoma City. Research Rally. Date: 2018.
2. Type: Speaker. Org: University of Southampton. Delivered a talk "Immunomodulation by a TLR4-interacting surfactant protein-A peptide". Date: 2018.
3. Type: Speaker. Org: Rutgers University. Presented a talk "Host targeted therapies to combat infection and inflammation". Date: 2018.
4. Type: Speaker. Org: Oklahoma State University. City: Stillwater. State: Oklahoma. Delivered talks on annual basis from year 2013-2018 at the annual retreat of the Oklahoma Center of Respiratory and Infectious Diseases. Date: 2013.
5. Type: Funding. Org: Oklahoma State University (2013-2017). City: Stillwater. State: Oklahoma. NIH-supported COBRE program in Respiratory and Infectious Diseases. Date: 2013.