Garo P. Basmadjian, Ph.D.
To identify therapeutic agents for nervous system disorders including cognitive and attention disorders, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson disease and nicotine addiction among the class of selective nicotinic acetylcholine receptor agonists.
Design, synthesis and animal evaluation of novel radiopharmaceuticals labeled with positron emitting radioisotopes like C-11 and F-18. The main purpose for these radiopharmaceuticals will be their use for human Positron Emission Tomography (PET) studies in oncology, cardiology and neurology.
Publications & Presentations
- 1. El-Moselhy T F, Avor K S, Basmadjian G P. Synthesis and dopamine transporter binding of 2beta-isopropyl ester analogs of cocaine. Eur J Med Chem. 2002; 37 : 171-6
2. el-Moselhy T F, Avor K S, Basmadjian G P. 2'-substituted analogs of cocaine: synthesis and dopamine transporter binding potencies. Arch Pharm. 2001; 334 : 275-8
3. Singh S, Avor K S, Pouw B, Seale T W, Basmadjian G P. Design and synthesis of isoxazole containing bioisosteres of epibatidine as potent nicotinic acetylcholine receptor agonists. Chem Pharm Bull. 1999; 47 : 1501-5
4. Avor K S, Singh S, Seale T W, Pouw B, Basmadjian G P. 2beta-Substituted analogues of 4'-iodococaine: synthesis and dopamine transporter binding potencies. J Med Chem. 1998; 41 : 2380-9
5. Seale T W, Avor K, Singh S, Hall N, Chan H M, Basmadjian G P. 2'-Substitution of cocaine selectively enhances dopamine and norepinephrine transporter binding. Neuroreport. 1997; 8 : 3571-5