Alexander Mdzinarishvili, Ph.D.
My current research interest is brain stroke (brain ischemia and edema). I have extended experience in experimental research on brain stroke and brain edema in different MCAO (middle cerebral artery occlusion) animal models (permanent and transient). My research is focusing on the development of new neuroprotective therapeutic strategies to minimize brain stroke-induced cell death and optimize cell self-repair in brain infarct areas. Based on that a second my current research interest is neurogenesis. I have extended experience in experimental research on neural stem cells: proliferation, migration and differentiation in the different brain regions. Neurogenesis and neuronal self-repair mechanisms offer potential therapeutic avenues to pursue in attenuating the deleterious outcomes normally associated with brain stroke and stroke-associated brain edema. New compounds with neuroprotective properties, and/or novel drug delivery systems, such as nanoparticles may stimulate and enhance proliferation and migration of neural stem cells to the brain stroke lesion areas. This ability of neuronal stem cells to integrate into various brain regions, and the modulation of this property by pharmacological intervention, may offer hope for the development of restorative therapies for ischemic, traumatic, and neurodegenerative brain diseases (Brain Stroke, TBI, Alzheimer, Parkinson, Multiple Sclerosis, etc.).
Education & Experience
Ph.D. in Physiology and Pharmacology
Institute of Pharmacology, Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Moscow, Russia1990
M.S. in Physiology
Institute of Physiology, Georgian Academy of Science, Tbilisi (Georgia)1985
B.S. in Biology
Georgia State University, Tbilisi (Georgia)1980
Publications & Presentations
- 1. Houson H, Mdzinarishvili A, Gali H, Sidorov E, Awasthi V. PET Detection of Cerebral Necrosis Using an Infarct-Avid Agent 2-Deoxy-2-[18F]Fluoro-D-Glucaric Acid (FGA) in a Mouse Model of the Brain Stroke. Molecular imaging and biology. 2020; 22 : 1353-1361
2. Mdzinarishvili A, Houson H, Sidorov E, Awasthi V. Detection of Cerebral Necrosis in Ischemic Stroke Using a New Infarct-Avid Agent 18F-Fluorodeoxyglucaric Acid (FGA) in a Mouse Model of Stroke. BRAIN INJURY. 2019; 33 : 215-215
3. Awasthi V, Awwad H O, Houson H, Hedrick A, Mdzinarishvili A, Standifer K. Hemorrhagic Shock Aggravates Traumatic Brain Injury: Evidence from PET Imaging Using 18F-Fluorodeoxyglucaric Acid in a Rat Model. BRAIN INJURY. 2019; 33 : 117-118
4. Houson H, Mdzinarishvili A, Awasthi V. PET imaging of ischemic brain stroke necrosis with novel agent F-18-Fluoroglucaric Acid. JOURNAL OF NUCLEAR MEDICINE. 2018; 59
5. Mdzinarishvili A, Sadana P. Neuroprotective Effects Of Thyroid Hormone-T2 (3,5-diiodo-I-thyronine) After Transient MCAO In Mice. STROKE. 2015; 46