Lourdes G. Planas, RPh, PhD, FAPhA
Dr. Planas teaches biostatistics, drug literature evaluation, and sociobehavioral aspects of medication use. She uses qualitative and quantitative research methods to assess medication optimization interventions in community pharmacy and primary care practice settings. She works with Latinx and other underserved communities to advance health literacy and patient engagement in cardiovascular health, diabetes, and vaccinations. Dr. Planas has conducted scholarship of teaching and learning on the development of problem-solving and communication skills among student pharmacists.
Publications & Presentations
- 16. Lystlund S, Stevens E, Planas L G, Marcy T R. Patient participation in a clinic-based community pharmacy drug take-back program. J Am Pharm Assoc . 2014; 54 : 280-4.
17. Planas L G, Crosby K M, Farmer K C, Harrison D L. Evaluation of a diabetes management program using selected HEDIS measures. J Am Pharm Assoc . 2012; 52 : e130-8.
18. Schommer J C, Doucette W R, Johnson K A, Planas L G. Positioning and integrating medication therapy management. J Am Pharm Assoc . 2012; 52 : 12-24.
19. Ge X, Planas L G, Er N. A cognitive support system to scaffold students’ problem-based learning in a web-based learning environment. Interdiscip J Problem Based Learn. 2010; 4 : Article 4.
20. Schommer J C, Planas L G, Johnson K A, Doucette W R, Gaither C A, Kreling D H, Mott D A. Pharmacist contributions to the U.S. health care system. INNOVATIONS in pharmacy . 2010; 1 : Article 7.
- 6. Evaluation of a community-based diabetes management program among HMO enrollees. ASHP. Start Date: 2005. End Date: 2008.
7. Evaluation of a hypertension medication therapy management program among HMO enrollees with diabetes. Misc Non-Federal. Start Date: 2005. End Date: 2007.
Awards and Honors
- 1. University of Oklahoma Latinx Coalition. Outstanding Faculty Member. Date: 2020.
2. American Pharmacists Association-Academy of Pharmaceutical Research & Science. Fellow. Date: 2020.
3. OUHSC Outstanding Student Organization Advisor of the Year. Date: 2017.
4. American Pharmacists Association-Academy of Pharmacy Practice & Management. Presentation Merit Award. Date: 2016.
5. American Pharmacists Association. Clinical Research Paper Award. Date: 2015.
- 1. Degree: Ph D. University of Florida. Date: 2001.
2. Degree: BS. Xavier University of Louisiana. Date: 1990.