Frequently Asked Questions


Q: What is the minimum overall grade point average for admission to the Pharm.D. program?
A: The minimum overall GPA requirement is a 2.5 on a 4.0 scale. This is an Oklahoma regents’ requirement and cannot be waived. We do not recognize academic forgiveness or academic bankruptcy if granted by your home institution. To be competitive for an interview it is highly recommended that students have a 3.0 in their GPA calculations including overall, science, pre-requisite, math, and the last 60 hours.

Q: How long does the Doctor of Pharmacy program take to complete?
A: Pre-requisite coursework takes approximately 2-3 years. The Pharm.D. professional program takes 4 years. Additionally, some Pharm.D. graduates choose to do residencies or fellowships for specialized training which can last 1-3 years.

Q: How do I know if I am an Oklahoma resident?
A: Please refer to the policies governing residency at this link. If you have additional questions, please contact the office of OUHSC Admissions and Records at 405-271-2359.

Q: Do you require pharmacy experience?
A: We do not require pharmacy experience; however, it is HIGHLY recommended. This experience may be gained either through paid or unpaid observation. It is important for applicants to understand the practice of pharmacy to solidify their reasons for wanting to be a pharmacist. Additionally, students at the College of Pharmacy begin site visits in their first semester of pharmacy school so it is beneficial to understand how a pharmacy works.

Q: I’ve applied in previous years so can you just forward those materials?
A: At this time, we are unable to forward any previous application materials. Each applicant must follow the same procedures each year and send updated materials to PharmCAS. This includes official transcripts, letters of recommendation, and PCAT scores.

Q: When should I file for financial aid?
A: It is recommended that applicants file the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) as soon as possible for the academic year they are planning on attending. More than one school can be listed on the FAFSA so it is not a problem if applicants do not yet know if they will be attending the College of Pharmacy. The FAFSA application opens October 1st. For more information on financial aid, please contact the HSC Office of Financial Services at 405-271-2118.

Q: Are there any scholarships available?
A: The College of Pharmacy offers many scholarships; however, most of the scholarships are not available until after the first year of pharmacy school and the amounts are modest. More information on COP scholarships can be found at the financial aid for new students area. Additionally, applicants may check additional sources for scholarship opportunities. Many pharmaceutical companies, organizations, and pharmacies offer additional support. There are also search engines such as that may help you identify additional support.

Q: What are the statistics for accepted students?
A: Our most recent entering classes have had a 3.40-3.50 pre-requisite gpa and a 70th-75th percentile composite PCAT score. Our students come from many different backgrounds, states, and even other countries providing a rich and rewarding educational experience. More information is available at the Pharm.D admission statistics area

Q: Do you accept international students?
A: At this time, we are unable to accept international students. To be eligible for admission, applicants must be a U.S. citizen or a U.S. permanent resident or holding DACA status at the time of application. OUCOP does not accept foreign coursework so a WES evaluation will not be accepted nor required. All pre-requisite courses must be completed at a regionally accredited U.S. college or university. Additionally, we do not accept transfer students from foreign pharmacy schools. .

Q: Do you accept transfer students from other U.S. pharmacy schools?
A: Please refer to the policy for transfer students for full explanation of the application procedures and eligibility for transfer.

Q: How can I schedule a tour of your campus or get advisement about admissions?
A: We welcome both individual and group tours. For a tour or advisement on the campus, please contact Jennifer Richardson.


Q: What is the PCAT?
A: The Pharmacy College Admission Test (PCAT) is constructed specifically for colleges of pharmacy. The PCAT is a standardized test designed to help identify qualified applicants to pharmacy colleges by measuring academic ability and scientific knowledge necessary for the completion of pharmaceutical education and is computer based. The PCAT has four content areas: Critical Reading, Quantitative Ability, Biology, and Chemistry. Additionally, there is a writing exercise the day of the test. Typically the PCAT is offered each July, September, October, November, and January. Please visit for full information on the PCAT and registration procedures.

Q: What if I had my PCAT scores sent directly to OUHSC?
A: All PCAT scores should be submitted directly to PharmCAS. The release code for PharmCAS is 104. However, if you have applied through PharmCAS and released the scores to OUHSC, then we will still receive them. We are unable to receive scores directly from PCAT.

Q: What’s the oldest PCAT score considered?
A: We will accept PCAT scores taken within the last 3 calendar years.

Q: Do you only look at my highest PCAT Score?
A. Yes, the Admissions Committee will consider the highest score within the past three calendar years when making decisions.


Q: How do I apply?
A: You can apply by submitting the PharmCAS application at Additionally, we require completion of a supplemental application which can be found at Please refer to the Steps to Applying found on this web site for full details on the application requirements.

Q: Why do you have a supplemental application?
A: A: While PharmCAS provides us with your academic information, the supplemental application allows us to gather additional information about you, specific to our college. Additionally, the supplemental application serves as your application to the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center.

Q: How can I check the status of my application?
A: You should utilize the status check that is available through PharmCAS ( This status check is available by logging back on to your application on the PharmCAS web site.

Pre-Pharmacy Coursework

Q: If I repeat a course, do you only take the highest grade?
A: No, all attempts are included in the calculation of GPAs. Although all attempts of a pre-requisite course are included in the calculation of the GPA, applicants should be aware that the most recent attempt of a pre-requisite course will be the grade on record in determining completion of requirements. This means that an applicant’s last attempt of a course must be a C or better to maintain eligibility for admission.

Q: Do I need a degree to be accepted?
A: No, we do not require a bachelor’s degree. We encourage all students to work toward a bachelor’s degree. Working toward a bachelor’s degree provides you with additional maturity, experience, and accomplishment which translates well in a personal interview or when determining an applicant’s ability to be successful within our professional curriculum. The vast majority of accepted students will exceed the 64 hours of minimum requirements.

Q: What should I major in?
A: We do not require any particular major but the majority of accepted applicants major in a science-related field such as biology, chemistry, or biochemistry. This allows them to complete pre-requisite courses as well as satisfy their interest in the sciences. However, you are encouraged to major in any field which interests you as long as you complete the pre-requisite courses as well.

Q: Does my pre-requisite coursework have to be taken at the University of Oklahoma-Norman?
A: Although the University of Oklahoma offers an excellent undergraduate education, we do not require applicants to take pre-requisites at OU. Applicants may take pre-requisite courses at any regionally accredited U.S. college or university which offers them.

Q: If I take my pre-requisites at a university other than OU, how can I know what courses will be acceptable?
A: Pre-requisite courses may be taken at any regionally accredited U.S. college or university. Although course numbers and names may be different, in general, most of the basic courses will be the same from college to college. If you have any question about whether a specific course is acceptable, please e-mail us at

Q: I have coursework more than 5 years old. Will you still accept it?
A: Applicants must have completed organic chemistry and microbiology within five calendar years of the planned entry year. There is no time limit on other pre-requisite course requirements. This time limit may not be waived without specific permission from the Director of Recruitment & Admissions. A waiver will only be granted if the applicant is currently working in a profession that utilizes these subjects on a daily basis and this has been documented.

Q: I did not do well my freshman year. How is this viewed?
A: Many people struggle with the transition to college their first year. It is helpful for the Office of Pharmacy Student Affairs if we can review the person’s entire academic record. We may be able to identify strategies that can strengthen your application. Please contact Jennifer Richardson at or 405-271-6598 to make an advisement appointment. Appointments may be made in person or via telephone so you do not have to live in the OKC area to make an appointment.

Q: How many hours of pre-requisite courses are required?
A: A minimum of 64 semester hours are required for admission to the Pharm.D. program. A full listing of required coursework may be found on our webpage in the section titled Pre-Pharmacy Requirements.

Q: When do the pre-requisite courses have to be completed for entry?
A: Admitted students must successfully complete all pre-requisite courses by June 1 of the year they plan to enter. This means you should plan to have your pre-requisites completed by the end of the spring semester prior to the fall semester you plan to begin the program.