Stratton, Pharm.D., BCPS, CGP, FASHP
Professor & Herbert & Dorothy Langsam Endowed Chair in Geriatric Pharmacy
Department of Pharmacy: Clinical and Administrative Sciences
Multidisciplinary geriatric care
Geriatric pharmacotherapy issues with special emphasis on the population over the age of 75 years
Education & Experience
- Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy, University of Missouri, Kansas City, MO, 1971-1974
- Doctor of Pharmacy, University of Missouri, Kansas City, MO 1975-1977
- Clinical Pharmacy Residency Training: Truman Medical Center, Kansas City, MO, 1976-1977
- Department Chair and Professor, University of Houston, College of Pharmacy, 1993-2001
- Director, Center for Pharmaceutical Care of the Elderly, University of Houston, College of Pharmacy, 1995-2001
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, 1996-2001
- Associate Professor of Pharmacy, University of New Mexico, 1985-1993
- Associate Professor of Family and Community Medicine, University of New Mexico (1986-1993)
- Director, New Mexico Geriatric Education Center, 1986-1993
- Director, New Mexico Geriatric Education Center (1987-1993)
- Interim Director, University of New Mexico Center for Aging Research, Education and Service, 1987-1993
- Interim Director, University of New Mexico Center for Aging Research, Education and Service, 1991-1993
- Co-Chair, Board of Directors, University of New Mexico Center for Aging Research, Education and Service, 1985-1993
- Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist, September 1994
- 2001-2002 Academic Year: Geriatric Pharmacotherapy Elective
Honors & Service
Fellow of the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (Selected 1995)
Recipient, ASCP George F. Archambault Award, 2010.
Selected Publications & Presentations
Dunn RL, Smith WJ, Stratton MA. Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole-induced hyponatremia. The Consult Pharm 2011; 26(5): 342-349.
Stratton MA. America's "other" drug problem. Commentary. The Consultant Pharmacist 2009; 24:90-91
Stratton MA, Jordan AH, Harrison DL, Jacobs EW, Skaggs VJ. Disparities in the prevalence of medication therapy for hyperlipidemia in the elderly. The Consultant Pharmacist 2007; 22(10): 847-854.
Stratton MA, Anderson FA, Bussey HI, et al. Prevention of Venous Thromboembolism: Adherence to 1995 ACCP Consensus Guidelines for Surgical Patients. Archives of Internal Medicine. 160:334-340, 2000.
McGuirt RS, Stratton MA. Constipation and Bowel Management. In: Therapeutics in the Elderly. 3rd ed. Delafuente JC and Stewart RB, eds. Harvey Whitney Books. pp. 643-665, 2000.
Current Grants Awarded